Relax and Renew – 12 Steps To Overcome Burnout
Self Care is Priority. You can’t be ‘on’ every minute of the day. At some point, it’s time to take a hiatus and CHECK OUT mentally. Granted, taking time out more often means that you don’t get to this place of burn out but we’re all guilty of spinning too many plates. The important thing to remember is that it’s temporary. It’s ok to feel burnt out or lose confidence, it happens but just don’t stay feeling that way. If you don’t take stock of why you do what we do in the first place then how can you be focused on the goals you are working towards. In today’s society downtime gets lost.
Disconnecting from distractions and centring yourself spiritually is by far the most important step to a healthy life/work balance. Only you know how to take care of you, sounds simple right? but often we forget to put this into real practice. The key is to ignite that fire again and believe in yourself.
Helpful tips to overcoming symptoms of burnout:
- Rest – Relax with a few scented candles, take a long bath with calming music to create an atmosphere.
- Sleep – As much as you can (switch that smartphone into airplane mode).
- Hydrate – You know the great benefits drinking water adds to the mind, body & soul
- Take a walk – Raise your energy levels with a brisk walk in the park.
- Yoga / Pilates – Both of these have built-in relaxation techniques.
- Meditation – Quieting of your mind helps combat over analysing and brings peace.
- Watch a motivational video (example below) – Les Brown, Eric Thomas, and Marie Forleo are three of my favourite motivational speakers.
- The Power of Affirmation – Try reciting “you are smart”, “you are talented”, “you are beautiful” and “all good things are coming your way”. Just a few simple sentences said daily can change the perception of how you see yourself.
- If you are religious, why not read a scripture – In moments of uncertainty and insecurity, because we all have them. I find reading a few passages from Philippians helps to re-focus on life’s purpose.
- New – Try something you don’t normally do – attend a workshop, a meetup, take up a new hobby or learn a new language.
- Read – A book you love or listen to an ebook to expand on your perspectives
- Socialise – with friends and family.
There are more ways than one when it comes to finding your path. You only get one life, reconnect with what really matters to you and finish the race! Make valuable connections, make the life you want. At times, it will be difficult and be draining but that’s because your path is different from everyone else’s.
Triumphs and lightness will come once you let it.
Miss Abs xo
Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. If you have symptoms of burnout that continue to persist always seek the help and advice of a professional.